This original structure is the Berskhire Scenic Railway Museum’s southern terminus and occasionally the site of special events. Stockbridge Station is open for passengers to use the restrooms and explore its grounds and architectural features including a working fireplace. Owned and restored by the Fitzpatrick family, owners of the Red Lion Inn, the station was designed by architect Frank Walker. Built in 1893, it last served as an operating railroad station in 1960.
Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum is proud to announce that it took formal control of the historic Stockbridge Railroad Station in 2013. Through a lease agreement with the property’s current owner, the High Meadow Foundation, the future of this historic station has been entrusted to BSRM. “We are humbled that the Fitzpatrick family and High Meadow Foundation is entrusting this important piece of Stockbridge history to the Berkshire Scenic. We will cherish it,” stated Rick Selva, President of the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum.
Even though BSRM cannot bring its trains to Stockbridge, it intends to install historic, educational exhibits and continue to use the property for occasional special events. BSRM also plans to market the beautiful building and grounds for weddings, business functions and other gatherings. “Our goal is to bring our tourist trains back here because Senator Fitzpatrick enjoyed seeing a Berkshire Scenic train and our passengers at the station,” commented Jay R. Green, Government Affairs Director for the BSRM, referencing State Senator Jack Fitzpatrick’s long standing tradition to often meet Berkshire Scenic trains as they arrived at the station. It was through the efforts of Senator Fitzpatrick that Berkshire Scenic resumed train rides in 2003 after being sidetracked in 1989 due to poor track condition.
The historic Stockbridge Railroad Station was built in 1893, replacing the original wooden structure, with funds partially furnished by the Laurel Hill Association, the nation’s first village improvement society. The association played an important role in the development of Stockbridge and helped create the town’s reputation as an attractive community. The association’s work to beautify the town encouraged the growth of tourism, including attracting wealthy cottagers who summered in Stockbridge and they received a handsome train station to greet them upon their arrival. Built with beautiful blue dolomite stone, it was designed by Architect Frank Waller in the English Gothic Revival style and used by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad until 1963. Over the years, it was used for several commercial ventures including the “Chemin de Fer” nightclub and was almost destroyed by a kitchen fire on July 22, 1965. It was purchased by Jane and Jack Fitzpatrick’s High Meadow Foundation in 1997 and subsequently restored as a railroad station.
See more of our photos on
>> Return to About Us